There is a time in your life when paying attention to your health becomes very important. Nutrition and exercise is an exciting and rewarding adventure when you get started on the right foot. The rewards of being healthy are plenty of energy, a positive attitude, reduced stress, better posture and confidence in your appearance just to name a few. The secret to optimizing your health and fitness is your body's amazing ability to tap into stored body fat, balance and to regulate itself. Good nutrition and a fitness program will help you to accelerate the fat burning process.
Can't Wait To Eat?
Let's start with eating and eating is the key. Eat on a regular basis (every 2 hours). Don't let your body feel starved. Eating the right foods keeps your blood sugar level. Your body won't store everything as fat and cravings will be reduced.
Here is a proven timetable to banish food cravings and boost your energy level:
- 7:30 am Eat within one half hour of waking up. Stick to a protein and a starch.
- 9:30 am Eat a "Hard Chew" snack within two hours of breakfast. "Hard chew" means
a crunchy fruit or vegetable. Hard chews are crucial elements that will stop cravings within
- 11:30 am Eat another "hard chew" snack two hours later in the morning. If it's not
lunchtime, eat a second hard chew snack.
- 1:00 pm Eat lunch no later than 1:00 pm. Try a salad with lettuce, celery and sliced turkey.
- 4:00 pm Eat one or two snacks in the afternoon. Space them no more than three hours apart-try a snack like
plums or strawberries.
- 8:00 pm Eat dinner no later than 8:00 pm. Include starch, vegetables and a protein (salmon, chicken, etc.)
- Hard chews are raw foods such as broccoli, asparagus spears, green beans, cabbage, green
peppers, cucumbers, yellow beans, radishes, apples, pears.
When beginning a fitness program:
- The most important muscle of your body is the heart. Keeping the heart rate in the fat burning
zone for 30 minutes will allow your body to burn unwanted fat much faster.
- The best programs combine cardio and strength training together.
- Building muscle will keep you burning fat even while you sleep.
- Cross training is very important to keep the workouts interesting. The more variety
in your routine the more you will look forward to doing it.
- Strength training is important to build muscle and create lean body mass.
Of These Low Glycemic Foods
Eat Less Of These High
Honey Dew Melons
All Nuts w/o sugar or honey
Eggs, Protein Shake
All Meats-OK (trim fat)
Salads & Slaws
with added sugar
Pork & Beans
Cereals with more than 3grams sugar
Cold Cuts with added dextrose or honey
Breads with added sugars(corn syrup)
Not whole grain
An example of daily servings from the 5 food groups:
- 4 to 6 or more of protein per day
- 2 or more daily per day
- 3 or more veggies per day
- 2 to 4 or more grains per day
- 4 teaspoons oils per day (butter, olive oil, etc.)
- 8 or more glasses of purified water per day
On your next trip to the grocery store, make most of your selections from the outer
edge of the store to include fruits, vegetables, whole grain, meats, fish and milk. Frozen
is a good substitute for fresh too.
Proper food combining means that at any given meal you eat only proteins or starches. Additionally, make sure all fruits are eaten alone, not with a meal, and do not combine different fruits in one sitting. It’s simple and easy to get the clutter out of eating and to drop some unwanted holiday pounds along with helping the body to absorb nutrients and digest foods more completely. Remember: We are what we eat!
Mind, spirit, body: Build all three and be forever strong!